The best electric can openers offer many advantages over traditional manual openers. That applies to everyone, not just the elderly or those with dexterity problems. Here are our reviews of the top electric can openers available on the UK market.
We all need to open cans sometimes and this can be a surprisingly difficult task for anyone, which is why one kitchen gadget we like best is the electric can opener.
Opening cans can be a real pain. This is true not just for the elderly or infirm or those with dexterity problems, but for everyone.
Most people will have struggled with those cans that have built in openers: they often seem to snap off without opening the can. Hand-held manual can openers can also be difficult to use too.
And of course, there’s always a risk of making a mess or even suffering an injury if your hand slips or something else goes wrong. And that’s where electric can openers come in. They have many advantages over traditional can openers, such as:
- They’re easy to use for anyone on any can.
- They make less mess than doing it manually.
- Opening the can is faster and requires less effort and strength.
- The risk of injury is much less.
- They’re pretty much guaranteed to open the can cleanly every time.
What To Look For In An Electric Can Opener
How do you distinguish the best electric can openers from the others? Here are a few tips on what to look for when choosing one:
- Effectiveness: does it open all sizes and shapes of cans?
- Ease of use: the whole point of an electric can opener is take the burden of opening cans off you, so it goes without saying that it should be easy to use. But we’ve just said it anyway!
- Easy to clean.
- Non-slip: the last thing you want is for your can opener to slip around when cutting open a can.
- Quiet operation.
- Safe disposal of lid: most electric can openers feature a magnet that holds the lid once it’s been removed, making it easy for you to get rid of it.
- Stylish and fitting design: it not only needs to look good, it also needs to match your kitchen if you’re going to be leaving it out on display.
- Compact size: you don’t want your electric can opener to take up too much room on your work surface. And the smaller it is, the easier it is to store away too.
- Additional features: many of today’s electric can openers offer additional tools such as bottle openers, jar openers and knife sharpeners. Of course, you shouldn’t purchase a can opener just because of the extra tools it includes. After all, the main purpose is to open cans for you so all the extra features in the world are no good if it’s useless at doing that. But they can be the deciding factor between two equally good can openers.
So with all that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best electric can openers on the UK market today.
Reviews Of The Best Electric Can Openers
Morphy Richards 46718 Multifunction Can Opener
- Electric can opener
- Opens cans, jars, lids and even hard-plastic packaging
- Includes non-slip jar opening device
- Dishwasher-safe parts
- Black wipe-clean body
Morphy Richards have been making home appliances since way back in 1936. Over the years they’ve earned a good reputation for the quality of their products.
So it’s not much of a surprise that the Morphy Richards Multifunction Can Opener is one of the best electric can openers around. Here are some of the features that make it so good:
- It doesn’t just open cans, it can also open jars, lids, bottles and even that seemingly impossible-to-open hard plastic packaging that so many things seem to be packaged in these days.
- Easy to use: just place a can under it, press down the lever and it will hold the can in place as it rotates it and cuts it open.
- Non-slip feet means it doesn’t slip and slide around when you’re using it.
- Small and sleek which means it can sit unobtrusively on any worktop, or can easily be stored away.
- Easy to clean due to it’s smooth wipe-clean surfaces.
- Dishwasher safe.
This is a good-looking device that doesn’t take up too much space on your work surfaces.
Opening a can is very quick and easy and doesn’t create any mess. It coped easily with all the different can sizes we tried it with.
Once opened the can lid stays attached to the magnet on the opener, so you do have to remove it manually. This means you do run the slight risk of hurting yourself on the edges if you’re not careful.
The jar opener is also very effective and easy to use.
The Morphy Richards Multifunction Can Opener is a stylish and attractive piece of equipment that works very well for opening all types and sizes of cans. All the additional features work well too. At this price, it’s a bargain.
Kenwood 3-in-1 Can Opener
- Soft-touch rubber handle grip. It features a handy knife sharpener and a built-in bottle opener.
- Lid-retaining magnet prevents lid from falling into can after opening
- Automatic start/stop - the blade starts cutting with a light push of the lever
- Size (cm) - 23.5H x 13.5W x 13.5D
Kenwood is another manufacturer with a reputation for making reasonably-priced yet quality kitchen appliances. And this 3-in-1 can opener is one of their most popular products.
Some of the features that help it to stand out from the crowd and make it so popular are:
- It can open nearly all sizes and shapes of can up to 1.2 kg.
- Non-slip feet help to prevent any accidents or mess.
- Cutting blade is easy to remove and clean.
- Super quick and easy to use, with no mess created.
- Also includes a bottle opener and a knife sharpener.
- Hands free: no need to hold the can, just put in place, press down and let go.
With it’s shiny chrome surfaces, this is a great-looking can opener.
What really matters though, of course, is how well it works and this model is quick and simple to use.
The knife sharpener is a great addition that works very well indeed and the bottle opener, well… it’s a bottle opener and opens bottles!
It must be said that it did take a little time to get used to using the can opener itself. That said, you just need to get the hang of getting the can in the right position and once you do, it’s a breeze to use.
The Kenwood 3-in-1 can opener is an excellent and stylish product. Once you start using it to open cans, you’ll never go back to manually opening them.
Culinare Soft Touch One Touch Automatic Can Opener
- Automatically opens can with one touch to start and another touch to stop
- Ideal for those with limited hand mobility
- Built-in magnet lifts lid for disposal and safety
- Works on small, medium and large cans from 5.2 cm and larger
- Requires two AA batteries (not included) and comes with a 2-year guarantee
Culinare is a company with 25 years history of quality and innovation.
Their electric can opener, the Culinare Soft Touch One Touch Automatic includes the following features:
- One touch operation: just press once to start opening the can and again to stop.
- Safe and easy disposal of lid: the magnet hold and lifts the lid once the can is opened.
- Battery operated for maximum portability and ease of use.
- Small size makes it easy to store.
Unlike the above two electric can openers, the Culinare Soft Touch is a handheld device. It’s small size means it can easily be stored away in a drawer or cupboard between uses.
It does only work with cans that are 52 mm or greater in diameter, which is something you need to bear in mind when making your buying decision.
That said, it does work very well. It does take a little bit of practice to get used to it, but once you’ve got the hang of it opening cans is simple, quick and easy.
The Culinare Soft Touch is a great choice for those who are short of space in their kitchens and want to store their can opener away. It will fit easily into any of your kitchen drawers.
It’s easy to operate and makes opening cans a simple task for anyone.
These are 3 of the best electric can openers you can buy in the UK today. Each of them makes the job of opening cans easy for anyone.
Our personal favourite is the Morphy Richards Multifunction. It not only offers all the features you could want, its stylish design means it looks great too.
For more great kitchen gadget product reviews and guides, have a look through these popular links: