Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate TechEffect earns from qualifying purchases made via links on our website.
It’s important to care for your beard if you want to look your best, and for that you’ll need the best equipment. We reveal our choice of the best beard trimmer on the UK market.
- 1 Best Beard Trimmer Reviews
- 2 Philips Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer
- 2.1 Features
- 2.2 BaByliss for Men Super Stubble Beard Trimmer
- 2.3 Remington Barba Beard Trimmer
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 See Also:
Facial hair has represented strength and masculinity throughout the ages. For example, back in the days when men were hunter-gatherers a beard showed the wearer was full of health, strength and fertility. And to the ancient Greeks it was a sign of virility, with a clean-shaven face regarded as effeminate. To knights during the middle ages a beard was not only a sign of virility but also of honour too.
Although they declined in popularity during the 19th century, there’s certainly been a huge resurgence in beard growth recently. If you’ve decided to join the ranks of the proud beard-growers though, you should be aware that it’s not quite as simple as just downing your razor and not shaving. Not if you want it to look good, anyway.
Firstly, you’ll need to oil it regularly. Oiling your beard helps to maintain its texture and promote shine. It also helps to moisturize and cleanse the skin under your beard too. This prevents your skin from drying out, flaking, and becoming itchy.
You will also need to give your beard a trim on a regular basis too. This is true even if you’re growing it long. Trimming it gets rid of any split ends which would prevent growth, and helps to strengthen the beard hair. It also lets you shape your beard and get the exact look you desire, of course.
Like all things in life, if you’re going to trim your beard you should take the time and care to do it properly. And that means you need to use the best tools for the job. So let’s now review some of the best beard trimmers on the UK market in 2018.
Best Beard Trimmer Reviews
Wahl Lithium Blitz 3-in-1 Beard Trimmer
- 3 cutting heads - extra wide trimmer blade for trimming and edging the beard, full size foil shaver head for a clean shave below the beard line and detail foil shaver head for tidying above the beard
- 4 hours cordless use from just an hour charge - that's up to 3 months usage on a single charge
- 1 minute quick charge facility gives over 3 minutes run time - just enough for one use if you've forgotten to charge
- Cutting lengths 0.5 mm -25 mm
Our first challenger for title of best beard trimmer is from Wahl. Wahl are one of the most recognised brands in the world when it comes to grooming products, having been around for about 100 years. They’re known for the quality and reliability of their products, and the Blitz 3-in-1 is no exception.
- Unique lithium ion technology provides double the usual run time, faster charging and twice the power.
- One minute quick charge will give three minutes of use – ideal for emergency situations.
- Three cutting heads – trimmer, shaver and detail shaver.
- 12 combs plus lots of other accessories included.
- 0.2 mm to 24 mm cutting lengths.
What Is It Like To Use?
The Wahl Blitz 3-in-1 is one of the easiest to use that we’ve ever tried. It’s light and easy to hold, and cuts very well with no snagging on the hair.
Not that it really matters, but it also looks fantastically stylish too. So if you’re one of those people for whom appearance matters in everything, then the Wahl certainly won’t disappoint.
The battery life is exceptional with one full charge (which takes about an hour ) providing four hours of usage time.
Even, smooth cut – this model is fantastic for that extra fine detailing to give you the precise look you want.
Wide range of cuts – the Wahl Blitz is one of the few trimmers that can cut up to 24 mm.
Great battery life – one charge gives up to 4 hours of usage, so you’re unlikely to run out of charge part way through trimming.
There’s not really too much we can say that’s negative about the Wahl 3-in-1. It’s a little expensive, but having said that with the extra price tag comes extra quality.
The only other slight problem with it is that changing the head attachments can be a little tricky. You do need to use quite a bit of force to get them off and on, and this raises a slight question mark over what it will be like a few months down the line.
The Wahl Blitz 3-in-1 can be recommended without hesitation. Although slightly on the costly side, it provides everything you need from a quality trimmer. It gives a clean, easy cut and allow easy and accurate fine tuning of your beard. Add in the long battery life, and the great amount of extra accessories included, and it’s a great option.
Philips Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer
- Perfect your beard with our exclusive laser guidance system: Follow the red line of light to get a sharp, symmetrical trim
- Double-sharpened extra strong stainless steel blades for a superior cutting performance. The innovative lift-and-trim system guides the hair towards the blades for an effortless trim in less strokes
- Style your beard with ultimate accuracy: Use the zoom wheel to select and lock in the length you want, from 0.4 to 7 mm with a precision of 0.2 mm
- 70 minutes run time of cordless use after a 1 hour charge or use plugged in
- 100% waterproof
Founded in The Netherlands way back in 1891, Philips is another company that’s well-known and highly-regarded for its grooming products. So expectations were high when we tried out this laser guided beard trimmer. Luckily, it didn’t disappoint.
- Laser guidance system for accuracy.
- Dual-sided trimmer.
- Ability to choose the exact stubble length you desire.
What Is It Like To Use?
The major claim to fame for this model is the laser guidance system. But is it just a gimmick or does it actually add value?
Well it turns out that it is actually useful. It’s not exactly all that it’s claimed to be in the marketing literature and there’s no substitute for practice when it comes to the accuracy of your trim. But it does make things easier and quicker, allowing you to trim with more confidence.
Overall, this trimmer has a nice, solid feel in the hand and gives a very good cutting experience.
Laser guide – this really does improves the accuracy and ease with which you can fine tune.
Quality construction – it feels really solid and durable.
Dual-sided, reversible 15 mm and 35 mm trimmer.
Cordless – for added flexibility and portability.
Easy adjustments – the comb attachments easy to take off / put on and adjust.
No storage case – at this price we’d have expected some sort of storage or carry bag to be included.
Battery life – although perfectly adequate at about an hours use from a full charge, this is significantly less than the Wahl 3-in-1.
The Philips Series 9000 stands out from the crowd due to its laser guidance system. We were initially skeptical of this, thinking it was more than likely just an expensive gimmick. We were pleasantly surprised with its usefulness though.
And overall, this trimmer is well worth considering. The construction quality and durability is great and it provides a good quality cut.
BaByliss for Men Super Stubble Beard Trimmer
- For ultra-precise stubble and short beards
- Floating contouring head tracks the curves of your face for accuracy and comfort
- Skin-friendly comb and precision blades for smooth cutting;Motorised length control for ultra-precise stubble to a perfect beard (0.4mm-5mm) with memory function
- 100% waterproof and can be cleaned under the tap or used in the shower. Extra power charging system for a super-fast 80 minute full charge gives extended 70 minute cutting power for cordless use (*5 minutes per day for up to 14 days)
- Lithium-ion power performance for reliable cordless use even at lower charge levels. Customer Care number 03705 133191
Founded in the 1960’s by a hairstylist called Lelievre, BaByliss were bought by Conair Corporation in 1995. They remain a leading manufacturer of quality grooming and beauty products, one of which is this stubble and beard trimmer.
- 100% waterproof.
- Floating contouring head.
- Ultra-precise length control.
What Is It Like To Use?
This trimmer is light and comfortable to hold. And that comfort extends to the cutting too, due to the floating head technology that ensures it smoothly follows the shape of your face. In fact, it’s a real pleasure to use, with no painful snagging. And the motorized length control makes it easy to get exactly the length of cut and look that you’re aiming for.
Floating head – tracks the contours of your face making for smoother, easier and more comfortable use.
LED screen – the screen shows you the selected cutting length and the amount of battery time left.
Waterproof and easy to clean – 100% waterproof which means you can clean it under the taps without worry. You can even use it in the shower!
Cordless – use anywhere.
Lithium ion battery – longer battery life due to lithium ion technology.
Motorised length control – guaranteed precision when selecting the desired cutting length.
Restricted cutting lengths – only for short beards, up to 5 mm.
Lack of accessories – there’s not much in the way of extras included with this model.
If you’re not looking to grow a super long beard, this BaByliss stubble and beard trimmer is definitely worthy of consideration. The floating head offers a really smooth trimming experience.
In particular, if you’ve got sensitive skin, the ability to use it in the shower is a real plus.
Remington Barba Beard Trimmer
- Ceramic coated blades effortlessly cut the hair neatly and effectively for precise styling of beards and stubble
- The convenient pop up trimmer is suitable for shaping hair around the chin and the sideburns area, so you can finish off your chosen style to perfection
- The trimmer has nine length settings so you can trim hair to your preferred length with ease, simply turn the zoom wheel on the handle until the length you want is displayed and your chosen length will be locked in
- For added reassurance, this trimmer comes with a 3 years guarantee
- 9 Pre–set lengths settings 1.5 to 18mm and Up to 40 minutes of cordless usage
Remington was founded in 1816 as a manufacturer of firearms. They started to produce electric shavers as far back as 1937 and became well known for their TV adverts. The Remington Barba is another quality product from this company; indeed at the time of writing, it was the number one best selling beard trimmer on Amazon.
- Nine length settings.
- Ceramic coated blades.
- Corded or cordless usage.
What Is It Like To Use?
The Remington Barba is very lightweight and comfortable to hold. It feels like a real quality product and is very balanced, allowing for an even and accurate cut.
The ceramic coated blades easily glide through the hair with no snagging or pulling, offering a pain-free cutting experience. And the wide range of length settings means you can get the precise look you desire. Once you’ve selected your chosen length, it’s locked in so you’re guaranteed to get that length of cut until you adjust it again, with no accidental movement.
Light and balanced – makes fine detailing easy.
Easy and accurate length adjustment – the thumb wheel allows quick and simple setting of the cutting length.
Lots of length settings – the thumb wheel is numbered from 1 to 9. These numbers correspond to the following length settings: 1=1.5mm, 2=2.5mm, 3=4mm, 4=5.5mm, 5=7mm, 6=9mm, 7=11mm, 8=14mm, 9=18mm.
Popup trimmer – incredible useful for trimming around the sideburns and the chin to give that complete professional look.
Build quality – this is a well constructed product.
Slow battery charge time – it can take up to 16 hours to fully charge the battery.
Battery can’t be replaced – once it’s dead you’ll need a new one.
Although very much a budget model in terms of its price, the Remington MB320C Barba is nevertheless a high quality product. It offers all you need from a beard trimmer, providing great control and accuracy. Recommended.
We’ve looked at some of the best beard trimmers on the UK market and to be perfectly honest, you can’t really go wrong with any of them as they’re all high quality products that are deservedly top sellers.
That said, if you’re looking to grow a longer beard, we recommend the Wahl 3-in-1 or the Remington Barba due to their longer cutting lengths.
And on the whole, if we had to pick just one of these, we’d side with the Wahl 3-in-1 as the overall best beard trimmer. It has superior build quality, is finely balanced to hold and offers an easy and accurate cutting experience. The Remington Barba, as the cheapest model reviewed here, is a great budget option.
For more great male grooming product reviews and guides, have a look through these popular links: