Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate TechEffect earns from qualifying purchases made via links on our website.
We review some of the best IPL laser hair removal systems on the UK market.
As a lady in her thirties, I’ve tried many different hair removal methods over the years. It’s one of the least pleasant beauty treatments, but it can be important for self-confidence.
In particular, facial hair can be a serious cause of anxiety for ladies, particularly if the hair is dark. In recent months I’ve realised that tweezers and a bit of makeup are no longer good enough, so I decided to test some hair removal systems.
What better place to start than by chatting to some girlfriends about their hair removal preferences! I find it interesting that age is a factor in this, with younger friends and my twenty-something nieces more clued up about technology for hair removal.
Shaving, waxing and creams seem to be more popular with my mature friends. My sister swears by threading as a beauty treatment, but it’s something she can’t do herself so has to book appointments and pay for.
Epilators were ruled out quite quickly as I find them painful to use and difficult to trim with any accuracy.
Laser hair removal was suggested by my hairdresser, but it turned out to be an expensive option. I was warned that several visits to the beauty salon could be necessary. A hair removal system I could use myself at home was really what I was looking for, and that’s how I found out about IPL laser hair removal.
IPL stands for ‘Intense Pulsed Light.’ I won’t pretend that I understand the science behind IPL laser hair removal, but it’s similar technology to that used by beauty therapists. It’s just as safe, but IPL lasers aren’t as focused and selective as professional laser hair removal equipment.
Light pulses reach the root, and over a number of treatments inhibit the growth of new hair. Something to note is that even the best IPL hair removal systems are only effective for removing dark hair from fair skin. Fortunately, I fall into this category so decide to test and review some of the products available.
IPL Laser Hair Removal System Reviews
A few searches on popular shopping websites revealed the number of IPL laser hair removal devices available. There were some brand names I was familiar with, and that gave me a lot of comfort as I did have some safety concerns about zapping myself with lasers! I’m sure the likes of Braun and Philips wouldn’t be involved with IPL hair removal if it carried any risks to health.
Price differences between IPL hair removal devices typically range between fifty and three hundred pounds. I was interested to know what that would mean in terms of features and performance.
The differences in design and styling were quite surprising to me as a newcomer to these products. Some are sleek and stylish, others purely functional. I ruled out the cheapest devices from the start and decided to test in the mid to upper price range for my IPL hair removal system review.
Braun IPL Silk Expert Pro 5 PL5137
- Braun’s Latest Generation IPL. The safest, fastest and most efficient IPL**. Visible hair reduction up to 6 months*
- The safe IPL technology. Clinically tested and dermatologically accredited as skin safe by an international skin health organization (Skin Health Alliance)
- Smart IPL with SensoAdaptTM skin sensor (with UV protection): the only IPL technology that automatically and continuously adapts to your skin tone**
- The fast IPL: treat both legs in less than 5 minutes at the lowest energy level. 2 times faster than the previous Silk·expert 5. Includes precision head, premium pouch and Venus razor
- New compact design, 15 percent smaller and 25 percent lighter, for easy handling and effortless treatment. 400,000 flashes, 30 percent more than previous Silk·expert 5
Braun is the first name I think of when it comes to shaving and hair removal devices. My husband has had several Braun electric razors over the years, and although not the cheapest they certainly offer quality products. On their website Braun claim that the Silk Expert Pro 5 is the safest, fastest and most efficient IPL device. For the price, it would have to meet at least some of those claims.
Features and Specifications
I had high hopes for this device based on the marketing literature. Both legs could be treated in under five minutes it was claimed, and hair removal would be permanent in around four weeks. I did wonder why I would need to buy the device if that was the case.
First impressions were great, the Silk Expert Pro 5 has a quality feel to it and I liked the sleek, feminine design. It was also practical to use with plenty of cable and easy to operate buttons. I’m left-handed but that wasn’t a problem. The device comes in a very neat zip-up case and that also has a luxury feel to it.
One thing to be aware of with IPL hair removal systems is that you must read the instruction manual and pay particular attention to the safety points. The Braun IPL Silk Expert Pro 5 uses IPL technology clinically tested and dermatologically accredited as skin safe by the Skin Health Alliance.
However, there are areas of the body you shouldn’t use these devices on and the instructions list these. Using any kind of lasers around your eyes isn’t a good idea, so eyebrow removal with an IPL device isn’t recommended. There are also warnings about using a laser hair removal system too frequently.
This was my first time using an IPL device and I was a little nervous about doing something wrong. Taking the time to read the instructions put my mind at rest and I was ready to tackle the hairs on my legs.
The Braun device has a standard head for large areas such as legs, and a smaller precision head for finer hair removal. The light intensity varies automatically depending on your skin tone, but there are also options for manual selection.
I hadn’t realised that you need to shave the areas you want to remove hair from before starting the IPL treatment, so this was another good reason to read the manual. I started with ‘Extra Gentle’ mode just to get used to things.
There was a mild sensation of warmth on my legs, and the brightness was very intense. Safety goggles aren’t necessary, but I found it difficult to look at the device during the laser pulsing process.
For my IPL laser hair removal system review I used the Braun IPL Silk Expert on my right leg, saving the other for the next device. Once I got used to the process of zapping the laser across my skin it was easy and completely painless. Switching to the precision head was easy, but the standard one is the one to use on your legs.
As recommended in the manual, I started with one treatment every week. It’s hard to tell if there’s any impact in the early weeks of course, but I did notice the rate growth of the hair slowing down. Once you’ve completed four to twelve weeks you can move to the maintenance phase where you only use the IPL hair removal device once a month.
Like many things nowadays, the Braun IPL Silk Expert Pro 5 can connect to an app. I found this to be little more than a gimmick and wondered if the price of this device was a little higher because of this unnecessary feature. The app is supposed to help you track the progress of your treatment, but I just used the IPL device every week as part of my Sunday evening bath and beauty routine. The app added nothing to the process.
Quality, well-made device from a brand you can trust.
- Sleek, feminine design.
- Very clear instructions and safety advice.
- Option to use an app, may appeal to some users.
- Premium price.
- Claims of permanent hair reduction in four weeks seem optimistic.
Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device
- Long-lasting: Philips powerful Lumea for 6 months of hair-free smooth skin
- Safe, gentle and easy: Breakthrough IPL technology developed with leading dermatologists; achieve long-lasting hair removal safely, in your home
- Personalised Treatment: Three curved, intelligent attachments for customised treatment on each body area - body, face and bikini
- Tailored to you: Philips SmartSkin Sensor measures your skin tone and indicates the optimal setting for you
- Convenient: Corded and cordless functionality to give you full freedom of movement
I was pleased to see that Philips are in the IPL hair removal market as this is another manufacturer I know and trust. A little reading online revealed that Philips Lumea is the number one brand for IPL hair removal in the UK, and this particular device has won several awards.
The design of the Philips Lumea Prestige IPL is very different than the Braun device. It’s not the shape of a traditional electric razor or epilator, and I found it much easier to hold and move up and down my legs. It’s also cordless, and this makes a big difference to the process. Not having to be connected to a plug socket means you can sit on your bed or use the hair remover in the bathroom.
Key Features and Specifications
The Lumea Prestige hair removal device comes with several attachments enabling you to customise the treatment. My intention for the review was to test it for leg hair removal, but it was interesting how the curving of different attachments made it easy to maintain contact with different body parts. In particular, it fits the curves of your chin and face well for facial hair removal. Another attachment is great for getting close under your arms. Maintaining close contact means you don’t get blinded by the flashes and I assume makes it work more effectively.
Like the Braun device, the Lumea Prestige measures your skin tone ready for the treatment. The most comfortable light setting is recommended, and I like the fact you don’t have to decide this yourself. It felt more powerful than the previous IPL device tested, and there’s a sensation similar to a tight rubber band hitting your skin. It’s not uncomfortable, and I soon get used to it. I was a little worried about skin irritation, but there were no after-effects.
There are lots of reassurances about testing by dermatologists, and safety features are highlighted as you would expect. The design and cordless operation definitely helps the process of hair removal and made it quicker to complete than the traditional electric razor design. In terms of results, it was hard to tell in a direct comparison with the Braun IPL Silk Expert. There’s no app with the Lumea Prestige, but that wasn’t a disadvantage to me.
After four weeks I could see and feel a difference to my leg. There were still some hairs, but they were very fine and fair. Comparing side by side with the leg I was using the Braun device on, I would say the Lumea Prestige was performing better. I certainly found the Philips IPL device more comfortable to hold and easier to use.
- Range of attachments moulded to suit different areas of the body.
- Easy to hold and move around the body for hair removal.
- Cordless operation.
- Automatic selection of best laser setting depending on skin tone.
- Safety assurances after extensive testing by dermatologists.
- Clear evidence of hair removal after four weeks.
- Mid-price band IPL hair removal device.
- The sensation can take a little time to get used to.
MLAY Permanent IPL Hair Removal Device
- FDA Approval,safety for use.3 functions lamps(hair remvoal,skin rejuvenation and acne treatment lamp)
- After about 6 months using, the hair is visibly less and hair-growth is slowed achieving a long-lasting and effective hair-removal experience
- Full body hair removal with 1 Year Warranty for 300000 flashes
- Five Energy Level :You can choose the suitable level for you,we advice to test on skin from level 1
- Fashion Design, designed for man and women full body permanent hair removal including arm,underarm,bikini line,legs,back,lip and etc.
I wanted to test products for different budgets in my IPL laser hair systems review, and this is why I chose the MLAY device. It’s from a Chinese manufacturer I hadn’t come across them before. The origins didn’t worry me as the product has approval from The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US, and this means it’s been through rigorous safety testing.
The first thing that struck me about the MLAY hair removal device is its unisex design. There are no feminine touches or pink styling here. Plenty of men use hair removal systems of course, so it’s no surprise that there are neutral devices like this. The plastic feels cheaper than other IPL hair removal devices I’d tested up to this point, and the look of it just didn’t appeal to me.
Key Features and Specifications
This device has five different energy levels, and the instructions advise you to start on level one as a skin test. It also offers three different functions and can be used for skin rejuvenation and acne treatment as well as hair removal. I found this a little confusing to be honest. I’m not sure if IPL laser treatment can rejuvenate the skin or help with conditions like acne, and I just want an effective hair removal system.
Having to select between five different levels could mean you don’t ever use the required energy to remove your body hair.
There’s an instructional DVD included with the MLAY hair removal device. I don’t have a DVD player anymore, and my Mac doesn’t play DVDs so it was of no use to me. Perhaps some online videos would be more useful. Safety goggles are also included in the pack. I doubt the MLAY is any more powerful or less safe than the other IPL lasers in my test, so I’m not sure whether goggles are really necessary. I found they got in the way of the process and I struggled to see when wearing them unless I sat in bright light.
I tested the MLAY device on my right arm, including the area under the arm. My husband was willing to try this device too as it looked like a man’s hair removal device. I noticed some improvement after four weeks but didn’t look forward to using this IPL system due to having to wear the goggles and the way the laser pulses and doesn’t glide. Having tried a cordless IPL device I also found the cord annoying. My husband gave up after a few weeks treating his upper back the shaved hairs just seemed to grow back. Perhaps the laser hair removal is less effective for men.
- Unisex design appeals to both men and women.
- Cheaper IPL device, worth considering if you’re on a budget.
- Rigorous safety testing.
- Number of settings may cause confusion.
- Device doesn’t feel as robust as others.
- Wearing goggles makes the hair removal process difficult.
- Signs of progress slower than other IPL devices.
DEESS Hair Removal Beauty System GP585
- EFFECTIVE AND SAFE FDA CLEARED: Intensive Pulse Light (IPL) is one of the most popular technologies applied in hair removal. It is a home appliance for permanent hair reduction.95% hair reduction in 6-12-weeks plan within 3 month.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE DEVICE:adapted from equipment for beauty spa and salon with similar effect lighter and smaller to use at home.40% higher energy of 4.1-5.4J/CM;4.5 sq.cm lamp with glide flash mode.Save 40% time for you! 8 minutes for treatment on arm or leg!
- MULTIFUCTION DEVICE, LAMP IS DETACHABLE: The standard device comes with a hair removal lamp only. If you need a skin rejuvenation or Acne lamp, it is suggested to buy a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 product suite as needed.
- SUPER LONG LIFESPAN:350,000 flashes per lamp. 3 years' lifespan.You don’t really have to buy a replacement lamp! Other key points: LCD Screen, Manual and glide Flash Mode. Built-in skin analyzer. No hidden cost. A cooling gel is not needed for the treatment.
- BEST IPL HAIR REMOVAL DEVICE PROVIDER: Products and Service come directly from the Brand owner and manufacturer with 18 years’ experience in supplying equipment for salon and clinics.24 months warranty. email@example.com (24 hours service)
I wanted to include an IPL hair removal device under two hundred pounds, and the DEESS GP585 easily made this criteria. It’s another manufacturer I hadn’t heard of before, but they’ve been developing and selling similar devices for seventeen years.
The design of the DEESS hair removal system is very feminine. I didn’t like the floral pattern on the top of the device, and I don’t think it’s something that would appeal to younger women. My elderly aunt might like it, but it’s not for me. The velvet drawstring bag also has a 1970’s feel to it.
Key Features and Specifications
This is another IPL device supplied with safety goggles. It’s powered from a cable, and as before I found the combination of goggles and a power cable made the treatment process awkward. The instructions are clear and simple, and you can be ready for your first treatment within ten minutes once you’ve unpacked the device.
A feature I really liked with this device is the built-in skin analyser. This took away the need to have to make decisions about settings and gave me some comfort I wasn’t going to overdo the intensity. When you place the DEESS GP585 on your skin you hear a fan operating and the suggested energy level is displayed on the screen.
The process is the same as with other IPL devices. After shaving my left arm I started the treatment and was impressed with the way it glided over my skin. The sensation was mild warmth, and it wasn’t uncomfortable. Using the device under my arm was a bit awkward, and I found it hard to make close contact with the contours.
I continued using the DEES hair removal device every Sunday evening for four weeks. The results were very disappointing. Compared to the arm I was treating with the MLAY device there was quite a difference, and the hair grew back visibly. Perhaps it would’ve worked over a longer period, but this was the lease effective IPL hair removal system in my test over a four week period.
- A cheaper IPL device.
- Built-in skin analyser.
- Retro-design, device looks dated.
- No signs of hair removal after four weeks.
- Goggles and power cord get in the way during the treatment process.
IPL hair removal systems are a great alternative to beauty salon treatments. A good device will cost you around three hundred pounds, but over time it could save you many times that if you were paying for hair removal treatments. The technology has been rigorously tested by independent agencies, dermatologists and other experts and is safe to use. You must of course follow the manufacturer’s instructions for an IPL device and not try to rush the treatment process by using it more frequently than is recommended.
If you’re considering buying an IPL hair removal device, here are some of the important things to consider.
Design and Styling
Some IPL devices look like electric razors and others have a moulded design with a handle. I found the latter easier and more comfortable to use.
Cordless operation made a big difference to me in my test, and much prefer this than having to use a device connected to the mains by a cable.
Settings and Selections
Devices with auto-selection of settings based on your skin tone take away worry and confusion. If you choose a setting too high for your skin type, you could cause irritation and damage. Choosing a setting that’s too low means the treatment may take longer or not work at all.
Range of Attachments
Removing hair from larger areas of the body such as legs and arms is fairly easy with an IPL device, but armpits, the chin and smaller areas can be tricky to work on. Having attachments designed to mould to the skin can really help.
Don’t expect miracles with home hair removal systems. It can take weeks before you see results from using an IPL device. However, you should see and feel a noticeable difference within a month. If this doesn’t happen it may mean the laser power is set high enough or that you aren’t keeping close contact with your skin during the process.
Conclusion And Final Verdict
After some initial reservations about using lasers on my skin, I got used to the process of hair removal with an IPL device. The sensations aren’t painful, and with a good device used correctly you begin to see results after a few weeks.
Each of the devices in my test had their merits, but the Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Cordless Hair Removal Device stands out as the best on several factors. The range of attachments and cordless operation made it the quickest and easiest to work with. The auto-selection of settings meant that I was confident the laser strength was right for my skin type, and the results were great after just a few weeks.
Bestselling IPL Laser Hair Removal Systems
- ✔️PERMANENT HAIR REMOVAL - Say goodbye to unwanted hair forever and hello to silky smooth skin! SlkySmooth IPL Hair Removal is painless, with NO BURNING SENSATION, and suitable for all types of sensitive skin.
- ✔️#1 HIGHEST QUALITY IPL DEVICE ON THE MARKET - With 999,999 flashes SlkySmooth IPL Hair Remover Laser is the most upgraded device on the market. You will never need any replacement bulbs and it's built to last a lifetime. Compared to the expense of salon treatments, it's easy to see the value of SlkySmooth home laser hair remover.
- ✔️FAST, SAFE & PROFESSIONAL HAIR REMOVAL FOR MEN AND WOMEN - With SlkySmooth Laser Hair Removal Device your hair can be gone up to 2x faster than other machines. Our cutting edge system delivers the same technology used by professional dermatologists, but designed for safe use in the comfort of your home.
- ✔️5 ENERGY LEVELS & TWO MODES - With 5 energy levels and 2 modes our permanent IPL Hair Removal Laser is designed for all skin sensitivity and treatment levels. Flash Mode for precision on face, bikini; Auto Mode for large areas as legs, body, underarms.
- ✔️RESULTS GUARANTEED - With SlkySmooth you can achieve your permanent hair free dream in just 8 weeks. Our device is designed to deliver immediate results whilst also working on the structure and health of the skin for the long term.
- 【Painless Permanent Hair Removal】Strong pulsed light uses warm and soft light to break the hair growth cycle and fundamentally delay hair growth. The result is permanent hair removal. Compared to other laser hair removal, this ensures the safety of ipl laser hair removal.
- 【No Need Consumables】This laser hair removal device has been updated to 999,900 flashes, which can be used for life, without the need to purchase replacement ink cartridges for the hair removal device. When using it, make sure it is close to the skin for best results.
- 【5 Power Levels and 2 Flash Modes】 The IPL laser hair removal system will help you adjust the power level according to skin tone and hair color. Manual mode is suitable for smaller areas, such as bikini lines, armpits, fingers, lips. Auto mode is suitable for larger areas such as arms, legs and back.
- 【Convenient for Home Use】Our cost-effective ipl home laser hair removal equipment allows users to start treatment comfortably at home and get a salon effect at a very low cost.
- 【With our laser hair remover】Our professional customer service team will solve customer problems 24 hours. We hope to encourage all customers to contact us at any time.
- 🎀【Safe IPL Technology & 999,999 Flashes】 - Breakthrough IPL technology developed with leading dermatologists;Effectively breaks the cycle of hair regrowth to achieve Long-lasting hair removal and smooth skin;It is very gentle,especially for treating sensitive areas,such as the face(only for Skin around the lips)or bikini line.
- 🎀【Ice Cooling IPL Hair Removal】- Ice Cool IPL hair removal built-in ice compress plate synchronous with 3℃-10℃ ice cool feeling surround,care you sensitive and delicate skin, no pain on the skin(Long-time use of IPL laser to irradiate the same area of the skin will produce a hot sensation. SHEON cold technology perfectly solves this problem.),enjoy comfortable hair removal safely in your home.
- 🎀【2 flashing Modes ＆ 5 Optional Light Intensity】 - 2 Modes: Manual mode mainly used for small area hair removal, such as underarms, fingers, lips; Automatic mode can be used in large epilating areas such as arms, legs,abdomen and back;5 light levels to adapt different skin sensitivities.We suggest that start from level 1 to get used to the device and flashes at first time.
- 🎀【Easy to Use & Useful】 - Please refer to the picture or the operation steps in the manual to use;This laser hair remover only flash when the device is applied firmly on the skin at an angle of 90°, and the device will shut off automatically when it leaves the skin.（You can keep the "cool" button turned on when you use it, you will love it.)
- 🎁【Save Costs & Customer Service】 - The best Valentine's Day gift for women,At home, you can get a hair removal effect like a beauty salon and spend less money.Your comfort and satisfaction is our first priority. If you have any problems with it or questions, please feel free to contact us.
- 【Upgraded Quartz Tube Lamp】ARTOLF hair removal adopt new quartz tube lamp, more durable,safety and heat-proof.Effect much better than the glass bulb like other products. Make the flash stronger and reduce treatment time over 1 week than old version, and it can reduce skin sensitivity.
- 【Permanent Painless Hair Removal】The hair removal device uses advanced technology to break the cycle of hair regrowth.The result is permanent hair removal and permanently smooth skin after 8-12 weeks.
- 【Auto/Manual Mode and 999900 Flashes】ARTOLF hair remover machine has 2 modes, just long press the flash button to adjust the mode that suits your hair removal area.Auto mode is suitable for large area hair removal, it saves more time.Upgraded 999900 flashes enough for 9-11 individuals' whole body hair removal. It’s life time purchase.
- 【Economical Whole Body Treatment At Home】Compared to the large costs of salon on hair removal, this hair removal can get the same result with less costs.And is more safety and gentle for skin.
- 【Professional Service】If you start using the hair removal, for getting perfect results it takes gradually 4 - 8 weeks (depends on Skin). To be certain that you choose the right treatment and answer all your questions, Our professional team is standby 24/7 to assist you
- 【Effective & Permanent Hair Removal】BAIVON IPL hair removal can make hair follicle melanin enter the dormancy period and delay the growth of hair fundamentally. The result is permanent hair removal and smooth skin permanently around 8-12 weeks.
- 【Painless & No Disposables Required】Ice compress function can relieve the pain of burning sensation from higher gear. It takes around 10s for the cooling system to cool up. This laser hair removal device upgraded to 999,900 flashes, which you will never need to buy a replacement cartridge.
- 【An Economical At-Home Solution】BAIVON has adapted the technology for safe use in your own comfortable home. Compared to the large costs of salon on hair removal, this laser hair removal can get the same result with less costs.
- 【5 ENERGY LEVELS & 2 Flash Mode】This IPL hair removal has 5 different energy levels to adapt different skin sensitivities (Recommended 1-2 levels if it is the first time use this hair removal device). 2 modes design cam satisfy your demands on your different hair removal parts. MANUAL MODE is used for small area hair removal, such as bikini line, armpit, fingers, lips; AUTO MODE is used for large hair removal area, such as arms, legs, chest and back.
- 【Premium Quality and Service】 Your comfort and satisfaction is our #1 priority. If you have any problems with it or questions, please feel free to contact us and we will respond in time. We're standing by to assist you all the time.