Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate TechEffect earns from qualifying purchases made via links on our website.
This beard trimmer buyer’s guide tells you all the things you need to take into consideration when making a purchasing decision.
Beards have made a real comeback over recent years and are now incredibly popular. And manufacturers have looked to cash in on that growing customer base by introducing new beard trimmers and other such gadgets to help you get that perfect beard you want.
But how do you choose between all these different options when it comes to buying a new beard trimmer?
What To Look For When Buying A Beard Trimmer
Let’s take a look at some things you should take into consideration:
Obviously, the price is important, especially if you’re on a strict budget. Beard trimmers cost more than shavers and the price can vary widely depending on the features the particular trimmer has, with the best trimmers being quite expensive.
Obviously, all beard trimmers will be capable of trimming your beard and mustache, but some will have better battery lifes than others, some will charge quicker, some will be cordless while others are cordless, etc. Indeed, some will come with a range of extra attachements for trimming the hairs on your nose and ears.
So when choosing a beard trimmer, it’s a good idea to first make a list of features and extras that you want. This will let you draw up an initial shortlist of possible buys.
Then, decide how much you’re happy to pay for a trimmer. This will reduce your shortlist further.
Waterproof Or Not?
If you have particularly dry skin, you may want to trim your beard while in the shower. Obviously you’ll need a waterproof beard trimmer if this is the case.
The one thing that you should consider most carefully when making your buying decision is the blade.
You’ll want to go for a trimmer with a long-lasting blade that is comfortable to use and won’t cause any skin irritation. This means you’ll want a trimmer with a chromium, steel, or titanium blade.
Some of the more expensive trimmers feature dual-sided blades. The smaller side of these blades allow you to trim with extra precision, to fine-tune the detail of your beard.
Cordless Or Corded?
Cordless trimmers have more flexibility because you can use them anywhere. On the flip side, corded trimmers provide more power and cutting ability.
Plus you’re guaranteed that the batter would die in the middle of your shave (unless there’s a power cut)!
If you decide to go for a cordless trimmer, you’ll then have a further decision to make. How long a battery life do you need?
Nearly all trimmers will allow you to adjust the cutting length. You need to make sure the trimmer you choose supports the length of beard you have.
It’s also important that you can firmly lock in the cutting length. The last thing you want to happen is for it to move during use.
If it does and you end up with a short part of your beard, you won’t have any choice other than to cut the rest of your beard to the same length.
Either that or walk around looking a bit odd while you wait for it to grow back, anyway!
Do you want to be able to cut your hair, or trim your ear and nose hair with your trimmer? If so, you’ll need to choose one that offers these features.
Although trimmers like these are more expensive, if you don’t already own a head shaver or nasal/ear hair trimmers it can work out cheaper to buy a beard trimmer that offers these functions rather than buying separate tools.
Do you want to travel with your beard trimmer? If so, you may want to look for a trimmer that comes with a travel bag.
We’ve discussed what to look for when buying a beard trimmer. Consider what features you need and how much you’re willing to pay, then make a shortlist of all the trimmers that meet your requirements and fall within your budget. Then just choose the one you like best or the one with the best reviews.
- Sharper, faster, more efficient vs. all previous generations of Braun beard trimmers
- Precision dial for 20 length settings in 0.5 mm step sizes for an effortless trimming experience
- Lifetime Sharp Blades for even beard trimming and hair clipping
- Create accurate lines and edges on neck and cheek with the main beard trimmer head
- German technology and ergonomic build, for up to 50 minutes of cordless trimming
- Try out a new look any day of the week with this durable all-in-one trimmer
- Self-sharpening, skin-friendly blades for a perfect trim
- Trim and style your face and hair with 9 tools. The kit includes 2 stubble combs, 3 hair combs, and 2 beard combs. An ear & nose trimmer attachment and storage pouch are also included
- Run time: Up to 60 minutes of cordless use per charge
- Simply detach and rinse the blades and combs under the tap
- Rechargeable all-in-one trimmer with unprecedented cutting performance vs. previous generations of Braun beard trimmers
- 7-in-1 beard, face and hair trimmer for men; includes Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide razor for clean shaving
- Lifetime Sharp Blades and 13 length settings for utmost styling precision
- NiMH battery for 80 minutes of trimming with 8 hour charge
- Designed and engineered in Germany by Braun
For more great male grooming product reviews and guides, have a look through these popular links: