Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate TechEffect earns from qualifying purchases made via links on our website.
Updated for 2020! We take a look at some of the best inflatable hot tubs on the UK market today.
- 1 Things to consider
- 2 The Best Inflatable Hot Tubs
- 2.1 Lay-Z-Spa Milan
- 2.2 MSpa Elite Reve Jet Plus Bubble Spa Portable Hot Tub
- 2.3 Avenli 2-4 Person Inflatable Hot Tub
- 2.4 Lay-Z-Spa Vegas Hot Tub, Airjet Inflatable Spa, 4-6 Person
- 2.5 Lay-Z-Spa Monaco Hot Tub, Airjet Inflatable Spa, 6-8 Person
- 2.6 Lay-Z-Spa Miami Hot Tub, Airjet Inflatable Spa, 2-4 Person
- 3 Conclusion
When it comes to outdoor equipment, a hot tub is high on many people’s list. Imagine having your very own hot tub that you can sprawl in with your significant other after a hard day at work. That would be the life, huh? But, installing a hot tub is expensive, something you’ll maybe struggle to afford on your salary. However, that doesn’t have to be so. What if we told you there is a way you can afford such a luxury, and not break the bank. We’re talking, of course, about inflatable hot tubs.
Yes, if you’re looking for some guidance as to the top inflatable hot tubs you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll have a look at six of the best inflatable hot tubs on the market, and include a quick buying guide that will direct your attention toward some of the considerations you need to make when you’re buying one.
Things to consider
Like we said, before we go ahead with the reviews, we’ll first going to tell you something about inflatable hot tubs in general, and also instruct you as to what to look for in an inflatable hot tub, and what separates a good hot tub from the bad one. So without further ado, let’s get under way.
In terms of construction, inflatable hot tubs are made of vinyl or PVC. Note that this is not your regular PVC, the kind you find on your regular inflatable pools, but of much higher quality. The material also appears in layers, granting it extra resilience and extra puncture resistance, and the layers often incorporate materials like polyester or nylon. Coleman calls this Tri Tech 3 Layer Material construction, but it’s just a fancy way of saying that there are three layers to the walls of the tub, made of PVC and polyester, or the alternatives.
Another thing you should know about inflatable hot tubs is that they’re made with something called the I-beam structure. This structure means that the walls are separated into segments, which will stop the air leak if the tub does get punctured. It also means that the walls are reinforced and rigid enough to allow you to lean against them, and even sit on them. This I-beam construction features vinyl panels inserted into the walls, allowing them to bear your weight as you apply pressure on them.
Naturally, an inflatable hot tub doesn’t have any seats like you would find in a traditional hot tub. This being said, the tubs do have cushioned floors so you won’t hurt your bum when sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Now, what do you need to consider when buying an inflatable hot tub. Naturally, you’ll need to check what kind of material the tub features. Stick to what we’ve described above, and you should be alright. Durable materials will allow you to use the tub for longer, but even then you won’t be able to use the tub forever. Even with premium materials, you’re looking at a service time of 3 – 5 years. Now, if you paid £200 for a tub, that’s not much of a problem, but, when you’re paying more than a thousand you definitely want your tub to last as long as possible. For this reason, getting a product with a pretty good warranty is advisable in case something goes wrong.
Moving on, you need to find a hot tub with a suitable cover. Covers are an integral part of a hot tub, as they cover it and prevent leaves, bugs and other stuff from falling into the water. However, they have other uses too.
Covers are a safety feature, and they will prevent a small child from falling into the tub and drowning. Not only that, but covers provide insulation, keeping the water warmer for longer. This is important because warming up an inflatable hot tub is much more of a hassle due to the small and rather energy inefficient heating element they usually contain. In essence, it will take up to 12 hours to heat up the water to your desired temperature, so a cover is essential in keeping it close to that temperature.
In terms of accessories, there are all kinds of things that will keep your tub in working order. Many hot tubs come with maintenance kits included, which is useful because obviously then you don’t have to look elsewhere for them. These kits include things like additional filters and patch-up kits that will be of great help in case you do get a puncture. Not only that, but they often also include things like chlorine and bromine that will help keep your tub clean, as well as tools to keep track of pH levels.
When choosing an inflatable hot tub, it’s vital that you consider how many people the tub can hold. Now, this sounds obvious but it’s not as straightforward as it seems. Why?
Well, an inflatable hot tub is much smaller than you might think. If the product you’re buying claims it can hold 6 people, it means that it will hold six people alright but they’ll likely be packed like sardines. There will be very little wiggle room and you’ll have to mingle your legs with the other people sitting in the tub. Getting a large, 6-man tub is probably more suited for a family of 4 – 5 than for six actual adults.
Lastly, there is the matter of price. As we said, these things can cost anywhere from several hundred pounds to a few thousand. Naturally, a more expensive product will come with a wider range of accessories, more space, better materials, a better heating element and a higher number of jets. Here, you need to determine how much you wish to use your tub (their overall service life is limited as we mentioned earlier) as well as the level of luxury you’re looking for.
The Best Inflatable Hot Tubs
And that’s it for our guide for what to look for in the best inflatable hot tubs. Let’s take a look at some of the top tubs now, shall we?
- UK's bestselling, award winning inflatable hot tub brand: trusted by over 500,000 customers
- WiFi connected with voice control capabilities: so you can make sure your hot tub is ready to use as soon as you get home by using your voice or Apple/Android device
- Freeze shield technology: lets you relax in your hot tub all year round without worrying about water freezing on cold winter nights
- Enjoy a soothing massage: with the relaxing 80 AirJet system for an all-surrounding massage experience
- Blissful 40 degree Celsius rapid heating system: enhanced pump technology enables you to simultaneously heat and filter the water whilst running the massage system
Lay-Z-Spa are the best selling inflatable hot tub brand in the UK, having sold over half a million hot tubs. So they must be doing something right! Looking at the Milan hot tub you can see exactly what. Lay-Z-Spa’s latest tub is a great product at a reasonable price; unlike with some other inflatable hot tubs this one is definitely robust and built to last.
The tub can seat four to six people but as is usual when you see this claim, four is a lot more comfortable than six. It is constructed using 3-ply reinforced Tritech material. This is what gives the tub its durability whilst ensuring it is also very comfortable.
Safety, of course, is very important when it comes to outdoor electrical equipment and the Lay-Z-Spa Milan is not lacking here either. It features Lay-Z-Spa’s unique ground detection system that ensures the power supply is always earthed. It also has a portable residual current device (PRCD) which means the hot tub can’t be turned on if an electrical fault is detected.
The Milan features Lay-Z-Spa’s new AirJet Plus massage system. This basically produces bubbles both from the sides of the spa in addition to the bottom centre, meaning you get a great all round massage of the back as well as the legs. There are a total of 80 jets in the tub.
In terms of setting up and putting away, the Milan is a breeze. It only takes a matter of minutes to fully inflate and deflate.
The great feature of the Milan that really separates it from other inflatable hot tubs is the ability to control it over wifi using the Lay-Z-Spa app. With the app you can control the temperature, activate the timer and control the bubbles, so you can have your perfectly prepared hot tub ready and waiting for you as soon as you get home!
The tub is also compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, so you can also control it with your voice.
One of the problems with living in the UK of course is the weather. Cold winter nights can easily freeze water meaning with most hot tubs you have to empty them. Not so with the Lay-Z-Spa Milan. It’s Freeze Shield technology allows you to use your tub all year round. And there’s not many nicer things than sitting relaxing in a lovely warm hot tub while the temperature outside is freezing!
- AirJet Plus system gives a great back and leg massage.
- Controllable via app and voice.
- Freeze Shield technology allows year-round usage.
- Very comfortable.
- Durable and quality construction.
- Great safety features.
- Better quality means higher price.
MSpa Elite Reve Jet Plus Bubble Spa Portable Hot Tub
- Jet and bubble spa
- Seats four
- Bubble spa and hydrotherapy, heats up to 42 degrees C
The MSpa Elite Reve is another top inflatable hot tub although you do have to pay a price premium for the quality. Like all things in life though, you get what you pay for as this really is a fantastic tub.
What makes it so great? Firstly, it looks beautiful. It’s constructed using a mocha micro rhino-tech fabric which gives it a real high quality appearance. It also features a champagne-coloured PVC liner that blends perfectly with the mocha exterior.
The tub comfortably seats four people. In addition there is a wired controller making it easy to use the tub without having to move around.
But the feature that really makes this a top quality tub is the massage jet system. It features a massive 118 air jets and four individually adjustable hydro massage jets. The end result is a gentle and relaxing massage for the back and neck as well as the hips, waist and legs. There are 3 levels of bubble adjustment. If you want the best massage from your tub, then this is the one for you.
- Superb hydro massage system.
- Plenty of room for four people.
- Wired controller.
- Quality construction.
- Not as big as some other tubs.
Avenli 2-4 Person Inflatable Hot Tub
- RELAX IN STYLE: The Avenli 2-4 person inflatable hot tub has been designed to provide maximum relaxation with little fuss! With a quick set up, easy to use control panel and 120 rapid jets, you will soon learn the true meaning of relaxation
- MASSAGE SYSTEM: the soothing 120 AirJet system gives you an all-surrounding massage experience for pure relaxation
- SET UP IN MINUTES (TOOL FREE): Requires no professional installation or tools, inflate with the included pump in minutes, ready for filling with water
- BLISSFUL 42 DEGREE CELSIUS RAPID HEATING SYSTEM: Take full control of the hot tubs heat with 1° heating increments at the push of a button
- FULL SET INCLUDES: ✔ 1 x Inflatable Spa Pool, ✔ 1 x Pool Cover, ✔ 1 x Protective Ground Sheet, ✔ 1 x Pump Unit and RCD Plug, ✔ 2 x Filter Cartridges, ✔ 1 x Inflation Hose, ✔ 3 x Pump Unit Connectors, ✔ 1 x Repair Kit, ✔ 1 x Instruction Manual, ✔ 1 x Set up and Maintenance Video DVD
Next up is the Avenli 2-4 person hot tub. Like all the other hot tubs reviewed here, it’s incredibly quick and easy to setup (and importantly, also to take down). You’ll be up and running in no time at all.
And once you are, you’re in for a treat because this is a wonderful hot tub. Although smaller than some of the other hot tubs reviewed here, there is loads of room for two people and even up to four. That said, it gets a little cosy with 4 people in it, so you may want to look at one of the larger tubs if there are 4 or more of you.
It has to be said that the Avenli isn’t as nice looking as some of the Lay-Z-Spas but what it lacks in appearance it more than makes up for with its comfort. You can set the required temperature in 1 degree intervals from 30 C right up to 42 C so you’re sure to be able to get just the right temperature you want.
There are 120 air jets which combine to create thousands of bubbles for a wonderful massage. There is a button to start the massage jets which automatically turn off after 30 minutes.
Included in the price are a pool cover and a ground sheet.
- Easy to set up.
- Fine-grained temperature control.
- Nice massage system with lots of air jets.
- Pool cover and ground sheet included.
- No timer as such, only the automatic shut off.
- Similar price to other tubs which have more features.
Lay-Z-Spa Vegas Hot Tub, Airjet Inflatable Spa, 4-6 Person
- Relax and unwind in your very own fully functional hot tub
- Portable and inflatable, this hot tub fits four to six people
- Heats Up to 40 degree Celsius (104 degree Fahrenheit) and includes a Lay-Z-Massage Jet System
- Easy to set up: Includes one pool liner, one heater(220-240 V), one filter, one floater, one pool cover, airjet system
- Up to 2 years warranty: Included with all Lay-Z-Spa for peace of mind and Lay-Z-Spa has a dedicated UK based aftersales Support team to help with your enquiries
Next on our list of the best hot tubs is the Lay-Z-Spa Vegas Hot Tub. This product is one of the best all-round tubs on the market, featuring a decent price and great features for the money. The tub’s price means it falls into the category of middle-tier inflatable hot tubs, perfect for families and Average Joes.
In terms of size, this hot tub can accommodate four to six people, though you have a better chance fitting four people than six. The tub is made of several layers of polyester and PVC, like we described in the guide.
The tub is capable of heating the water up to 40 degrees Celsius but it will take it 12 – 15 hours to do so from scratch, so be prepared to be patient if you let the temperature drop.
The I-beam construction makes the tub strong enough for a person to sit on its walls without them collapsing and the tub comes with an instructional DVD, as well as a maintenance guide. Also included are filter cartridges and chemical floater.
One of the most important features of a hot tub is the number of jets it boasts. The higher the number of jets, the better the massage feeling you get when hanging out in your hot tub. The Vegas features 87 air jets, which is good enough, although considerably less than the Lay-Z-Spa Palm Springs reviewed below which features 120 jets. Even so, the tub is completely satisfactory with its 87 jets.
Now for the bad parts. The heating unit in this thing seems to be very finicky, and tends to stop working suddenly according to some reports. And while the unit will be replaced by the manufacturer without any hassle, it’s really inconveniencing to have your heating unit break down quickly. The heater unit is also pretty energy inefficient, and you can expect a hefty electricity bill.
- Features 87 air jets.
- Fair value for the price.
- Made of good quality materials.
- Can fit 4-6 people.
- I-beam construction.
- There have been reports of problems with the heater unit and it is energy inefficient.
Lay-Z-Spa Monaco Hot Tub, Airjet Inflatable Spa, 6-8 Person
- Relax and unwind in your very own fully functional hot tub
- Portable and inflatable, this hot tub comfortably fits six to eight people
- Heats Up to 40 degree Celsius (104 degree Fahrenheit) and includes a Lay-Z-Massage Jet System
- Easy to set up: Includes one drop stitch liner, one heater(220-240 V), one filter, one floater, one hand pump, one inflatable cover, airjet system
- Up to 2 Years Warranty: Included with all Lay-Z-Spa for peace of mind and Lay-Z-Spa has a dedicated UK based Aftersales Support team to help with your enquiries
Arguably the biggest inflatable hot tub on our list is the Lay-Z-Spa Monaco. The Monaco is very expensive too, but that’s no wonder, considering the size of the spa. However, in all other aspects, the Monaco seems a little underwhelming. The spa is more expensive, but it doesn’t really bring anything extra special to the table but its size.
The Monaco claims to fit 6-8 people and it can indeed fit that many people, making it essentially the size of an inflatable pool. The sheer size of the spa, however, makes it very hard to heat up quickly, and it may take more than 12 hours to heat it up to 40 degrees Celsius.
The Monaco comes with an instructional DVD, as well as a maintenance manual. You also get additional filter cartridges and a chemical floater so that you can keep the pH levels of the water in check.
What else does the Monaco feature? It also features 86 air jets, which, for a tub this size, is a little underwhelming. Consider that the Intex features 120, is smaller and costs a lot less, it becomes obvious that the Monaco is not that good of an investment.
A few people have reported issues with the pipes, as they have leaked. You can fix them with a little duct tape, but this is a thing that shouldn’t really be happening with a new product.
- Can actually fit 6 – 8 people.
- Easy to set up.
- Has only 86 jets.
- Quite expensive.
- Takes a long time to warm up.
- Problems with leaky pipes.
Lay-Z-Spa Miami Hot Tub, Airjet Inflatable Spa, 2-4 Person
The last product in our list of the best inflatable hot tubs currently on the markey comes again from Lay-Z-Spa. The smallest of the tubs we’ve looked at today, the Miami is perfect for two people looking to have some alone time. The product isn’t too expensive and offers some pretty decent features for a tub for two.
As per usual, the product is made from several layers of PVC and polyester, making the tub very sturdy indeed. The tub comes with all the works in terms of instructions, including a DVD, maintenance manual and the other things you need to keep your tub in the working order. The product heats up to a maximum of 40 degrees, but, because it’s smaller, it takes less time for the water to be heated, and the heater consumes less energy.
The product features 81 air jets, which is the smallest number on our list, but because the tub is so compact these jets are used to their full potential, massaging you and allowing you to experience what it’s like to be in a real spa.
As for the downsides, the pump is a little bit on the loud side. There is a low but distinct hum coming from the heating system, which can prove very annoying at times. Also, though the spa is very durable, the top, white part of the wall is not. It is, in fact, prone to punctures. So, you need to be really careful when having sharp objects (and cats) around the tub.
- Good size for two people.
- Features 81 jets, which is perfect for this size.
- Easy to set up.
- The top part of wall is not as durable as some of the other inflatable hot tubs feature here.
- The pump is a bit loud.
Well, there you have it, six of the best inflatable hot tubs on the market and a guide that will help you select the perfect hot tub for you. In the end, an inflatable hot tub may not be a real spa, but it is certainly the next best thing. And they’re very affordable too, so, if you crave some rest and relaxation for you and your family, they’re definitely worth considering.